Phone for a quote: 01480 484826


This section of our website is dedicated to providing you with information relating to your car insurance. If you have any questions which you cannot find the answer to please contact us.

Please choose from the following:

How Premiums Are Calculated
Insurance Cover 
No Claims Discount (NCD) 
Club Member Discounts 
Limited Mileage Discounts 
Driving Courses
Car Security 
Immediate Cover 
Understanding Documents 
Regulatory Bodies 
Accidents And Claims 
Driving Abroad 
New For Old 
Adjustments To Your Policy 

How Premiums Are Calculated

How will you calculate my premium?
A whole host of factors are taken into account when deciding what premium to charge. Factors may include:

Car grouping
All cars have a group rating which is based on the cost and availability of spare parts, the price of the car, performance, security features, and repair times. The higher the rating, the higher the premium. Drivers aged under 25 who own a car with a high rating pay particularly high premiums.

Who's driving?
A small number of insurers may offer an 'any driver' policy but this will generally be more expensive than a policy where all the drivers are named. Older drivers tend to pay less than younger ones, though premiums often start to rise again once you're over 70. Your premiums will also be higher if you've got a bad claims record or past convictions.

Where you live also affects your premiums. In general, if you live in an urban area, you're likely to pay more than if you live in the country.

Other important factors
You'll sometimes pay more if you keep your car on a driveway or on the street than if you keep it in a garage. If you modify your car in a way that makes it more attractive to thieves or enhances its performance, your insurer may charge you a higher premium.

With some insurers you may pay more if your annual mileage use is high or if you use your car for business purposes.

Additional factors may include the type of cover you require, the purpose for which you use your vehicle, your no claims discount, driving courses and such like. Further information regarding these factors are also covered within the FAQ’s section of this site.

Please Note: It is important that you supply accurate information. Failure to disclose a material fact could invalidate your insurance cover. If you are unsure as to whether a fact is material, you should disclose it.

Insurance Cover 

What type of cover can I buy?
There are various levels of insurance cover for you to choose from. Comprehensive gives you the widest cover, but it may also be the most expensive. So that you can decide which level to go for, weigh-up the cost of insuring your car against the cost of having to repair or replace it. All cars in the UK not declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) need valid road insurance.

Laid Up
If your car is off the road and SORN and kept in a garage with no miles added to the clock you may qualify for laid up cover. Cover may include:

• Accidental damage to the vehicle
• Damage to the vehicle by fire
• Theft of the vehicle
• Attempted theft damage

Third party only
This is the minimum on-road cover available (not currently available via Lancaster Insurance). It covers:

• Death or injury to another person caused by your vehicle
• Emergency treatment and/or hospital fees for third parties
• Third party property damage

Third party, fire & theft
In addition to the cover under third party only this includes:

• Damage to the vehicle by fire
• Theft of the vehicle
• Attempted theft damage

In addition to third party, fire & theft cover this extends to include:

• Accidental damage to the vehicle
• Windscreen/Glass damage

Comprehensive policies may also provide a range of additional benefits such as cover for stereos, personal belongings, death or personal injury, and extended foreign travel cover.

Please note: All policies carry exclusions, and different policies will offer different benefits (please check these prior to taking out cover).

My vehicle does not have a current MOT and is not insured. Do I need to get my vehicle insured prior to driving it to the MOT test centre?
Yes. It is illegal to have a motor vehicle and drive it on the road without valid motor road insurance. If you have a pre-arranged MOT appointment in place and have taken out valid motor road insurance you will be covered for your drive to the test centre provided you go directly to the test centre. Alternatively, you could trailer the vehicle to the MOT centre for which you would not require road insurance.

Am I insured to drive someone else’s car?
Our Policies do not normally include cover to drive another vehicle on Third Party Only cover. However, some insurers may provide the policyholder with Third Party only cover when driving any other car, which is not owned or leased to the policy holder. Note that there is no cover for loss of or damage to that car (and that vehicle must have adequate insurance cover already in place). For more extensive cover you will need to speak to the owner of the car to become a named driver on their insurance policy.

Please note: If you are eligible for this cover we will automatically include this within your policy, and it will be stated on your insurance certificate. This cover is not available as an optional extra and is not applicable to all policies.

What are the car insurance classes of use?
The following classes of use are available:

Social, domestic & pleasure
This class of use offers cover whilst using the vehicle for social, domestic and pleasure use only. There is no commuting or business use included.

Social, domestic, pleasure & commuting
This class of use covers everything included in Social, domestic & pleasure, plus driving to and from a permanent place of work.

Business use for policy holder only (Class 1)
If you use your car in connection with your occupation or profession and need to drive to more than one place of work, this counts as Business use - Class one. This doesn’t include commercial use.

Business use for policy holder and spouse (Class 2)
This class of use is similar to Class 1, however this will also cover you and a named driver for business use . Different underwriters have their own terms so check your policy.

Business use for policy holder and other drivers (Class 3)
This class of use offers cover for commercial travelling and the transportation of light commercial goods in connection with your business.

Do you offer short term insurance?
No. The policies we offer are for 12 months. You can take out a policy with us and cancel this when it is no longer required but this will incur cancellation charges. Please check the conditions of the policy you select prior to taking out cover.

How old do you have to be to qualify for classic car insurance?
Typically our classic car schemes permit drivers aged between 21 and 80 years old. The criteria with regards to driver ages differ according to the insurer and the scheme you select. We may still be able to provide younger drivers with insurance cover using an alternate insurer/scheme please call us 01480 484826. Older drivers may be required to provide us with a doctor’s declaration stating that you are fit to drive (this varies according to the rules set by our insurers).

No Claims Discount (NCD) 

What is no claims discount and how does this affect my premium?
No claims discount is awarded to you for every annual insurance policy claim free year. The more no claims discount you have the greater the discount you are likely to receive against your insurance premium. Typically discount is capped at around 65% but some policies reward you for more.

Will I earn no claims discount on my policy?
Most classic car insurance policies do not require no claims discount and any discount you may receive will be based on your driving history. Because these types of policies are not rated using no claims discount you will not accrue any to take away at the end of your annual policy.

The majority of modern car insurance policies will allow you to accrue no claims discount provided you do not make a claim against your insurance throughout the duration of your annual policy.

I have no claims discount on another vehicle can I use it on this car too?
No. If your no claims discount is in use on another vehicle it cannot be used again on another policy. If you are increasing the number of cars you own you may start earning another set of no claims discount and you must enter zero no claims discount for your new policy.

Some policies do not require no claims discount to accrue a discount against your policy nor do you accrue no claims discount at the end of the policy year. Please check the terms of the insurer and scheme prior to taking out cover.

Can I use company car no claims discount?
Some of our insurers may accept no claims discount which you have accrued against a company car insurance policy. This is provided the discount is not being used against any other policy and you are able to provide us with proof of your discount. Please check the terms of the insurer and scheme prior to taking out cover.

Can I use no claims discount from another country?
Some of our insurers may accept no claims discount which you have accrued against an insurance policy from outside the UK. This is provided the discount is not being used against any other policy and you are able to provide us with proof of your discount. Most insurers will request the proof be supplied in English. Please call us to check the terms of the insurer and scheme prior to taking out cover.

Can I protect my No Claim Discount? 
Once you reach the maximum no claims discount you may wish to protect your discount. Some insurers will allow you to retain your no claims bonus, even when a claim or claims have been made. There will be a charge for this benefit and you will need to check the terms and conditions of the insurer. The number of claims you are allowed to make varies for each individual insurer, for example it could be either two claims in three years or two in five years.

The availability of protecting your no claims discount varies according to the insurer and the scheme you choose, please check prior to taking out cover.

Why do some of your insurance schemes not offer me protected no claims discount?
The availability of no claims discount protection varies according to the insurer and the schemes we have on our panel. Classic car insurance policies may not require any no claims discount therefore it will not be possible to provide you with protected discount. If you do not have a maximum no claims discount entitlement or a minimum of 4 years it is unlikely that an insurer will offer you the option to protect your no claims discount. Please check the terms of the insurer and scheme prior to taking out cover.

I need to make a claim but I did not protect my no claims discount.
In the event of a claim being made against your insurance policy where your no claims discount is not protected your discount may be affected. Typically for every claim made during the duration of an insurance policy year, your no claims discount will be reduced. This varies for each individual insurer and you should always read the terms and conditions of the policy.

Club Member Discounts 

I am a member of an enthusiast club relating to my vehicle, am I entitled to a discount against my insurance premium?
Our specialist insurance schemes are tailored towards enthusiast vehicles and their owners. We support the clubs which help to keep the industry alive and aim to reward their members with discounted rates against their insurance premium. Any discount which may be available will vary according to the insurer and the scheme you have selected. You will be required to provide us with documented details about your club and your current club membership number.

Limited Mileage Discounts 

My annual mileage use is low, am I entitled to a discount against my insurance premium?
Our insurers may offer discounted rates for low annual mileage use. You should always ensure that you tell us about the mileage you think you will need for the year. If you have taken a policy with a limited mileage restriction and you think you may exceed this please call 01480 484806 so that we can adjust your policy. The availability of this and any discount you may be entitled to will vary according to the insurer and the scheme you select.

Driving Courses

Could I save money on my insurance if I take a driving course?
Young drivers, who often pay high premiums, may save money by taking a Pass Plus course. You have six training sessions within a year of taking your practical driving test, and when your instructor is happy with your standard of driving, you'll receive a certificate.

Some insurers may also offer discounts for other driving courses such as the Advanced Driving Test offered by the Institute of Advanced Motorists. 

Car Security 

Will I get a discount on my insurance if I fit a security device to my car?
Not all security systems qualify for a discount. Insurers often specify that the device must be tested and approved by Thatcham. Many new cars are fitted with Thatcham tested alarms and immobilisers. But before buying anything, check with us to find out what discounts it offers and for what devices.

What is a tracking device?
It allows police to track a stolen vehicle via an electronic signal emitted from a sensor concealed in the car.

What is a Thatcham security device? 
The Thatcham Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre evaluates the effectiveness of car security products against The British Insurance Industry's Criteria for Vehicle Security. For further information you can visit their website at:


What is an excess?
Excess is the amount you pay if you make a claim for loss or damage of your vehicle. If the accident is not your fault you may be able to claim a reimbursement of the amount of excess from the person at fault. You will normally have a compulsory excess to pay if you are making a claim against your policy. In addition, you may have applied a voluntary excess to your policy which will also need to be paid in the event of a claim being made against your policy.

What is a compulsory excess? 
The insurance company may only be prepared to grant cover if you agree to pay the first amount towards any claim.

What is a voluntary excess?
Depending on the policy, the type of car you drive, or your claims history, you may have a compulsory excess on your insurance (subject to the type of claim and liability). This is the amount you'd have to pay towards a claim. You may get a discount on your premium if you agree to pay a voluntary excess as well. If you have a compulsory excess of £100 and a voluntary excess of £200, you'll have to pay the first £300 of your claim.

My car has now been repaired and the garage has asked me to pay the policy excess - should I pay them? 
Yes, but only if you are satisfied with the quality of the repair. You should always retain a receipt, as this will be required if a claim for uninsured losses is to be pursued.

Immediate Cover 

What can I do if I cannot get an online quote but need immediate cover?
If you require immediate cover and our online facility is not providing you with a quotation please call us on 01480 484826 click here to view our opening hours.

Is immediate cover available?
Yes. Providing you have been offered a quotation and are able to pay at least a deposit by credit or debit card. We do not accept American Express. We will accept cheques or postal orders in full payment only. Cover can only be provided once we have received these.


Do I have to pay for my insurance now?
Yes. No form of insurance cover will be provided until we have received payment. If you are paying for your insurance by monthly instalments you will be required to make a payment of a deposit prior to the commencement of cover.

What payment methods do you accept?
We accept the following:

• Credit card (excluding American Express)
• Debit card
• Cheque payment
• Postal orders

I would like to arrange payments by instalments. Is this possible? 
Yes. We are able to accept instalments by direct debit from a current account. Instalment payments are subject to interest charges - details are available on request. Your instalment plan and contract will be provided by a third party finance provider, full details of which will be provided if you decide to pay for your policy via this method.

Please note: The full premium is payable if any claim is reported.

Can the payment date for the direct debit be changed?
This may be possible, you will need to check with the finance provider.

Is it safe to pay for my policy on the internet? 
Yes. Our website secures your private information using a QuoVadis SSL Certificate. Information exchanged with any address beginning with https is encrypted using SSL before transmission. For more information on our site security, please click on the QuoVadis Image.

Why have I not received a refund of my premium? I cancelled my policy as my car was written off.
If you cancel your policy having made a claim during the policy term your insurers will retain 100% of the premium. If you are paying by instalments and you have not yet paid the full premium, so the outstanding balance will be due. If the claim is not your fault, you may be entitled to a refund when the insurer has allowed your No Claims Discount. This will be subject to the normal cancellation rates applying at the time the policy was cancelled. This varies according to the insurer and the insurance scheme you have selected.

Understanding Documents 

What documents should I expect when I take out my insurance policy?
When you take out car insurance you may be given:

• cover note
• policy booklet
• schedule
• certificate of motor insurance
• statement of insurance
• proposal form
• Jersey/Guernsey disc

To get the full picture, you'll need to study the documents together.

Cover Note - This is temporary proof of insurance to cover you before your certificate of motor insurance arrives. You may receive a temporary cover note instead of your certificate of insurance if we require any outstanding items from you to complete your insurance contract. Examples include, no claims discount proof or a signed proposal form.

Policy Booklet - This is a general document that contains information about your insurance policy.

Schedule - Your schedule tells you which sections of your policy apply and if there are any excesses and policy endorsements (restrictions placed on your cover).

Certificate of Motor Insurance - The certificate is your evidence that you have the cover required by law.

Statement of Insurance – This is a record of statements made and information given by you which constitutes the basis of your contract of insurance. It is important that you supply accurate information. Failure to disclose a material fact could invalidate your insurance cover. If you are unsure as to whether a fact is material, you should disclose it.

Proposal form – Some insurers on our panel may require the compleion of a proposal form. Alternatively, you may be issued with a Statement of Insurance.

Jersey/Guernsey Disc – If applicable this will be issued by your insurer once you have taken out cover and sent to you via the post.

Please note: You can only obtain a valid tax disc once a valid cover note or certificate of insurance has been issued.

Why does my proposal form/schedule show a different price from the rest of the paperwork?
This will show how much you are paying for the insurance excluding any arrangement fees we charge or optional additional items you may have chosen. A breakdown of your total price will be given prior to taking out cover and this will be confirmed in writing within your insurance documents.

Regulatory Bodies 

What is the MID?
The Motor Insurance Database (MID) is the only central record of all insured vehicles in the UK and is updated every hour. As one of the most important tools to ensure that only insured vehicles are driven on our roads, the MID is used by the police and the DVLA to enforce motor insurance law. Visit the MID’s website for further details.

How long does it take for the MID to be updated with my insurance details?
It can take up to 7 days from the date the insurance policy is started.

Who are the MIB?
The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was established in 1946 as a central fund to provide a means of compensating the victims of road accidents by negligent uninsured and untraced drivers. To find out more about the MIB visit

What is the FCA?
The FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) is an independent, non-governmental body that regulates the financial services industry in the UK, including most financial services markets, exchanges and firms. For further information about the FCA visit

What is the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)?
The Financial Ombudsman Service sorts out individual complaints that consumers and financial businesses haven't been able to resolve themselves. If you have a complaint please address this with your insurer in the first instance. For further information about the Financial Ombudsman Service visit

Accidents And Claims 

I am at the scene of an accident - what do I do? 
1. Note the registration number of the other vehicle(s) involved.

2. Obtain the names and address of the other witnesses. Also obtain the name, address and policy number of the other party's insurer.

3. Take a photograph or make a sketch plan of the scene of the accident and make a note of the road name, and the address of any property that has been damaged.

4. Do not admit responsibility or sign any statement to this effect. It is appreciated that due to the circumstances of the incident this may cause offence to the other party involved. Your best response is to state that your insurance policy prohibits you from admitting liability without your insurers written agreement.

5. If the accident results in damage to another vehicle, an animal or other property, to comply with the law you must stop and give your name, address, and registration particulars of the vehicle (along with owner's name and address, if different).

6. If anyone other than yourself is injured you must show your certificate of motor insurance to the police or to any other person reasonably asking. If you cannot do this at this time of the accident, report to the police as soon as possible and, in any case, within 24 hours.

7. If you have caused damage to another vehicle or property, you must also show your certificate of motor insurance to any person reasonably requiring you to do so.

My vehicle is disabled - what should I do? 
If your cover is comprehensive the reasonable cost of removal of your vehicle will form part of your claim against your insurer, subject to the deduction of any excess applicable. If, however, you do not have comprehensive cover then you must make your own arrangements to have the vehicle removed at your own expense. If the accident was not your responsibility then you may be able to recover the cost from the other party involved.

As a result of the accident, my car has been damaged - can I go ahead and get it repaired? 
If you have comprehensive cover and wish to claim under the policy, specific instructions will be given to you when you contact the Claims Line to notify them of the accident. You should not authorise repairs without the approval of your insurer.

If you are not insured for comprehensive risks, then your own damage is not covered under your policy and you are therefore free to arrange repairs, at your own expense, at a garage of your choice. If the accident was not your responsibility you may be able to recover the cost from the other party involved.

In reporting my claim why am I being transferred to another company? I thought you were my insurers.
Lancaster Insurance is an intermediary and we arrange cover with one of the insurers or partners on our panel who will manage your claim.

Why are so many different agencies involved in my claim?
Insurers use different service providers depending on the circumstances of a claim. If you have taken Legal Expenses cover they will assist you in dealing with these services providers if the claim is not your fault.

I am not happy with the repairs done to my vehicle by the approved repairer. What should I do?
If you are not happy please bring this to the garage’s attention as soon as possible. All work should be covered under warranty but if they are unwilling to assist you further please contact your insurers who should be able to investigate the matter further.

I have received some correspondence relating to the accident - do I answer it myself? 
It is a requirement of your policy to notify your insurer of every letter, claim, writ, summons and any other document that you receive. Please forward any correspondence received immediately to your insurer (do not answer or acknowledge it) You must also tell your insurer of any impending prosecution, coroner's inquest or fatal accident inquiry involving any person insured by the policy.

I have received correspondence from a Third Party demanding payment following a fault accident. Why have I received this?
If the Third Party agents have not been successful in recovering their costs as quickly as they would have liked to they will either issue the threat of legal action or obtain a court judgement against you to attempt recovery more quickly. The Court Claim form has to be in your name. It could be that your insurers are disputing liability or the claim amount, or even that they have not received the Third Party’s correspondence. Either way please pass on any Third Party correspondence you receive unanswered directly to your insurers as quickly as possible.

Am I entitled to a courtesy car whilst mine is off the road?
Courtesy cars are usually supplied by the repairing garage for the duration of the authorised repair following a claim (subject to availability and inclusion within your insurance policy). They are not usually available if the client uses their own choice of garage. Please refer to the rules as indicated by your insurer within your policy booklet.

My windscreen has been smashed - how can I arrange for a replacement? 
Providing windscreen/glass is covered by your policy you should contact the Claims Line on 01480 484802 (lines are open 24 hours a day).

You will be required to pay a windscreen/glass excess for replacement costs. Your excess may be waivered if your windscreen can be repaired.

Who will assist me to recover my uninsured losses? 
Subject to the purchase of optional Motor Legal Protection cover, you will receive help to recover your losses if you were not at fault for the accident. Contact the Claims Line on 01480 484802 for advice (lines are open 24 hours a day).

If I make a claim under my insurance policy will this affect my no claims discount?
It depends. A windscreen or glass claim may not affect your no claims discount. If you claim for damage to your vehicle under the policy following a non fault accident and the claim costs can be recovered from the responsible party or their insurers this will not affect no claims discount. However, if your insurer makes any payments for damage to which they are unable to recover from the Third Party, even if the incident is not your fault (Theft, Vandalism, Unknown Third Party), no claims discount will usually be affected.

When will my No Claims Discount be reinstated?
As and when your insurer recovers their costs from the Third Party or they accept other evidence of recovery i.e. from the Legal Expense provider upon recovery of the excess.

I have had an accident but I do not want to make a claim. Do I need to report it to my insurer?
Yes. Any incident resulting in damage to your vehicle and/or any Third Party property or potentially giving rise to a claim must always be reported to your insurers, even if you are not making a claim for any of your property damage. This is a condition of your policy.

The accident I was involved in was not my fault. Why do I have to pay my policy excess??
If your insurer are authorising the repairs a policy excess will always apply. However, if the incident was not your fault your legal expenses provider can attempt to recover the excess amount for you. In exceptional circumstances your insurers can sometimes waive the excess if they obtain an admission of liability from the Third Party insurers. Otherwise the only way to avoid paying the excess is if you deal directly with the Third Party/Insurer.

I have hit another car but I am not claiming for any damage to my own vehicle. Do I need to pay my policy excess?
No. You only pay an Accidental Damage excess if you are submitting a claim for your own damage. There is no excess payable for a Third Party claim.

Why have you cancelled my policy after my car was written off?
If your car is a total loss there is no longer any insurable vehicle to your policy. Most insurers do not like to leave a policy active, when there is not a vehicle to cover. However, some insurers will also give you the option of replacing the insured vehicle and changing the policy to cover an alternative vehicle, (subject to the vehicle being acceptable) before insisting on cancellation.

Why do I need to tell you about claims I have on other vehicles?
We need to know about any accidents or claims you or your named drivers have had within the last 5 years. Your driving history is taken into account when completing your insurance contract and affects any discounts you may be entitled to against your insurance premium. Failure to inform us about any accidents or claims you have may invalidate your cover if you have not disclosed all relevant information.

Driving Abroad 

Does my policy allow me to drive abroad? 
Your Certificate of Motor Insurance provides the legal minimum insurance requirements when travelling in EU countries.

A green card is no longer required to visit EU countries. When travelling abroad you should carry your Certificate of Motor Insurance as evidence of insurance and we must be notified of all dates and countries visited. The number of days allowed for European travel with your car varies amongst insurers and schemes selected, please check this prior to taking out cover.

If you wish to travel to a non-EU country, then you will need to call our Customer Services Department on 01480 484806, as we need to refer this to the relevant Insurer for approval. There will usually be a weekly charge, plus our administration fee. Please note that some Insurers may decline cover outside the EU.

New For Old 

My policy includes new for old cover what does this mean?
The maximum a policy will pay out when you make a claim is normally the market value or an agreed value of your car at the time it was damaged or stolen. New cars can lose up to 30 per cent of their value in the first year. So, if your car was stolen during this time and not recovered, or damaged beyond repair, you could end up with a lump sum that's a lot less than the cost of an identical car.

You can avoid this potential problem by choosing a policy that offers new-for-old cover. This will replace your car with a brand new one if it's stolen or severely damaged within the first 12 months. But the level of cover varies. For example, most insurers provide a brand new replacement car if the cost of repair exceeds 50 to 60 per cent of the list price of the car at the time of the claim. But some policies use a figure of 70 per cent. Also, some insurers won't provide a new replacement car if you've done more than a specified number of miles.

Please note: Cover is subject to policy wording.

Adjustments To Your Policy 

What should I do if I've modified my car? 
A modification is any change to the car from the manufacturer's original specification; for example fitting alloy wheels, body styling kits and sports exhausts. You must tell us about this immediately call us on 01480 484806.



How do I pay for my policy at renewal?
If you paid for last year's policy in one lump sum we will send you an invitation to renew. We will need to receive your payment for this year's renewal before the renewal date to ensure continuous cover. Please call us on 01480 484856 to arrange for payment to be taken from your credit/debit card; alternatively you may send a cheque or postal order for the full amount made payable to Lancaster Insurance Services Ltd.

If you paid by monthly direct debit from your bank account last year we may automatically renew your policy this year on the same bank details and advise you of the new monthly instalments. Written confirmation will be sent outlining our intentions. In this instance, if you wish to continue your policy you will not need to do anything; we will include a Certificate of Motor Insurance within your documentation.

If you paid last year by monthly payments from your credit card we will send you an invitation to renew; we will not automatically renew your policy.

Will my premium change at renewal?
We'll do our best to keep your renewal premium as low as possible. Most classic car insurance policies do not accrue or use a no claims discount. However, if you are insuring a modern car and have four years or less No Claim Discount and have not made a claim during the course of your annual insurance policy with us, you'll get a further year's No Claim Discount. This may reduce your premium. Please bear in mind that insurers may increase/decrease their rates during the year which may result in a change to your annual premium.

I've had a claim. How will this affect my renewal premium? 
If we already know about the claim before you receive your renewal invitation, your No Claim Discount entitlement will have been amended and your renewal premium revised to take the claim into account. If you insure a classic car with us, which does not use any no claims discount, please note that your premium may be affected on the basis of the change to your claims history.
If you make a claim and the details of which are yet to be disclosed to us please call us on 01480 484856 in order for us to update your policy details and prepare your revised renewal invitation.
We will let you know what your revised premium is as soon as we are notified about the claim.

How do I make a change to my policy at renewal? 
If you want to make a change to your policy at renewal call us on 01480 484856 before your renewal date with details of your change and an operator will be pleased to help you.

What should I do if I've had a motoring conviction during the past year? 
If you have had a motoring conviction during the year you must give us full details when renewing the policy call us on 01480 484856.

What should I do if I don't want to renew my policy? 
If you decide you don't want to renew your policy and last year you paid in full by either cheque or credit/debit card you do not need to do anything. If we do not receive your payment by your renewal date the policy will lapse and there will be no further cover in place, please call us on 01480 484806 if you require your proof of No Claim Discount (please note that some classic car insurance policies do not use or accrue a no claims discount).

If you decide you don't want to renew your policy and you have previously paid your premium by monthly direct debit you must tell us that you do not wish to renew otherwise your policy may renew automatically. Call us on 01480 484856 to tell us you do not wish to renew. Remember to cancel your direct debit instruction to your bank.

When will I get my proof of No Claim Discount? 
If you choose not to renew your policy we can send you your proof of No Claim Discount when the policy has expired. If you do renew your policy your proof of No Claim Discount is shown on your Schedule of Motor Insurance.

Please note: Proof of your no claims discount will not be issued to you if you have not paid your insurance premium in full.


How do I cancel my policy? 
Please write to us requesting the cancellation of your policy including the date you would like this to be effective from and post your instructions to:

Lancaster Insurance Services
Customer Services Department
Lancaster House
Meadow Lane
St Ives
PE27 4ZB

Alternatively you can call our customer services department on 01480 484806 or send us an e-mail to

You also have the legal right to cancel your policy within 14 days of the day you receive the policy documents. Please follow the cancellation instructions detailed above.

For all policy cancellations you will be charged for the time you have been on cover plus a fee for the work we have done to arrange the policy.

If you have been paying by direct debit instalments, remember to cancel your instruction to your bank.

Upon receipt of the documents by us you will receive a breakdown of your cancellation charges. This will outline any payments due either to us or to you.

Please note: Further information relating to our cancellation process and charges can be viewed in your policy document. In the event of a claim being made against your insurance policy the full premium is payable and no refund will be given.

We will search our panel of leading insurers to get you a great deal on your motor insurance cover.

Scroll To Top


"Excellent service! I had my first ever accident, Lancaster Insurance dealt with the claim in a professional and helpful way, no fuss. They made the whole process uncomplicated and stress free. I would continue to use them just for the service I received - first class."

Susan Davis, 24/07/2014

"I am a new classic car owner and have never before had to obtain this type of insurance. Amy was not only helpful and friendly, she was very knowledgeable on the subject and answered all of my questions. By asking the right questions, she managed to offer me a very competitive quotation, which I gladly accepted."

Lynn, Essex, 24/07/2014

"After putting the phone down, I think it was the first time in my life that I had a smile on my face after sorting out an insurance policy. Everything was explained to me in lay man terms and every question I asked was not a problem to be answered. Thanks Emma."

Paul, Nottingham, 24/07/2014

"I now have seven cars insured through Lancaster because they consistently provide the most competitive cover with good insurance providers."

Graham, Worcestershire, 24/07/2014