Motorhome Insurance

What Is Motorhome Insurance?

If you’re a passionate explorer, there’s no better way to travel the world than from the comforts of a motorhome. From exploring the European coast to taking a dip in the UK lakes, motorhomes offer plenty of holiday inspiration to those looking to satisfy their wanderlust.

Smart motorhome owners ensure that their vehicle is covered in case of unexpected events. If you have a motorhome and use it to roam the country, you need specialist motorhome cover that includes the vehicle and its contents to make sure your trip is safe.

Motorhome insurance can come with many different benefits to help you enjoy your holiday trip to the fullest, some of the benefits include:

  • From 90 days EU cover. A 365 day option available for an additional premium.
  • New for old replacement available if vehicle is less than one year old.
  • Up to £1,000 audio cover.
  • Windscreen cover included
  • Personal effects cover – up to £5,000.
  • Up to £2,500 cover for awnings, gas bottles, generators & camping equipment.
  • Agreed valuation available if vehicle is aged 15+ years.
  • Optional Breakdown Cover Available from £49.95

Differences Between Motorhomes and Campervans

Motorhomes and campervans are often confused with one another while, in reality, they are two completely different types of vehicles.

A campervan is usually smaller than a motorhome. Another critical difference is that in campervans, the driving and living space are combined together - not separate as in the case of motorhomes. One of the most common campervan types is the Volkswagen Camper, but this type of vehicle comes in various shapes and sizes. Some campervans even have a pop-up or high-top roof.

Motorhomes, on the other hand, are larger and designed for cruising around the country for more extended periods than campervans. The driving cab is usually separated from the living space, providing comfort to travellers. Most motorhomes also include far more advanced appliances than campervans (for example, full-sized ovens, fridges, and bathrooms). Motorhomes fall into 4 categories: coach-built, A-class, American ‘RV’ style, and race trucks.

Does Motorhome Insurance Cover Trips To Foreign Countries?

Yes, it does. You can easily travel abroad your motorhome without a second thought - you’re completely covered. A standard rate amounts to 90 days of cover in the European Union, but can often be extended to 180 days. If you would like to travel abroad for a more extended period, choose the 365-day cover option for an additional premium.

Do I Need Insurance For My Motorhome?

Yes, if you would like to travel with your motorhome, you need to insure it just as you would every other vehicle. To enjoy exploring the world with your motorhome, get the appropriate insurance and you’ll be able to travel wherever you want, knowing that you’re fully protected.

What Types of Other Insurance Are Helpful For Travellers?

Every passionate traveller needs travel insurance that provides the right medical cover, especially if you suffer from particular medical conditions. Don’t forget that healthcare costs can be very high in some foreign countries. If you get ill while abroad, you might be presented with a high medical bill at the end of your trip. Don’t risk that and ensure you get travel insurance in place.

Motorhomes are like holiday homes. When you’re travelling in your motorhome, you’ll be leaving your main home empty - and that’s where home insurance comes in handy. It will protect your home against theft or accidental damage.

How Can I Change The Vehicle I Have Insured?

If you have sold or are planning to sell your vehicle, it’s possible to perform a ‘Change of Vehicle’ amendment to your policy. Note that many of the policies are specialist policies that may cover only that specific type of vehicle. If your new vehicle is different, we may offer you the option to cancel your current policy and replace it with one that matches your needs. To request a change of vehicle amendment, please get in touch with our customer services department.

Alternatively, you can telephone us on 01480 484826 to discuss your specific classic car insurance requirements.

Available Benefits at a Glance:

  • Motorhome Club member discounts*
  • Free EU cover up to 90 days
  • Up to 365 days EU cover Available
  • Gas Bottle & Awning Cover
  • Windscreen Cover
  • Optional Breakdown Cover**
  • 24 Hour Claims Helpline
  • UK Based Call Centre
  • Personal Effects up to £6000
  • Limit Mileage Discounts Available


**(available from £49.95)