Car insurance for SORN

Car insurance for SORN


Are you looking to keep your classic off the road for a while? Then you’ll need car insurance for SORN or laid up vehicles. Lancaster Insurance Services can help.

You will need to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for your car with the DVLA if you plan to stop driving it on public roads for a while. Maybe you’re tucking your classic away for the winter or storing it ready for a restoration in the new year.

This status means you won’t have to pay tax on your vehicle, which could save you some money, but it doesn’t mean you should leave it uninsured.

A classic car is a big investment, so you may want to protect it against fire and theft while it’s in storage. Discover what types of coverage are available for SORN cars and how to find a SORN insurance policy for you and your vehicle.

Contact the Lancaster Insurance Services team today to get a quote for comprehensive cover tailored to your motor.

Can I get insurance on a SORN car?

Yes, even though your car will be in storage and won’t be driven on UK roads, you can still get insurance. Theft and accidents can still occur when your car’s not being driven, with specialist insurance.

What is SORN car insurance?

SORN car insurance – sometimes called laid up insurance in the UK – protects your vehicle when you declare it off-road.

You won’t be paying tax on your classic car, but coverage means you can get compensated in the event of fire, theft, or accidental damage while it’s in storage.

Do I need to insure a SORN car?

Legally, laid up vehicle insurance isn’t necessary, but it’s a smart idea to protect your classic car anyway.

Most classic car owners have spent a good deal of money and time on their investment, and protecting it means you won’t be out of pocket if something happens to it while it’s laid up off the road.

Finding coverage for your vehicle doesn’t mean you can drive it, though. When you declare SORN, you stop paying tax to the DVLA, which means you will need to cancel the status before taking your car on the road again.

Can you temporarily insure a SORN car?

You can insure a SORN car temporarily if needed, like if you have a pre-booked MOT appointment or want to get tax for it again before finding a comprehensive policy.

Can you drive a SORN car to an MOT without insurance?

No. The only time you can legally drive your laid up car is when you have an MOT appointment that’s pre-booked, but the vehicle must be insured.

What types of SORN insurance are there?

When you SORN a car, you won’t need it to travel to your business, work, or for leisure, so the types of policy available differ slightly to regular motor insurance. You also won’t need insurance breakdown cover because your vehicle will be parked.

There are two main types of SORN coverage:

Fire and theft only

This type of insurance policy protects your laid up vehicle in case it gets damaged in a fire or is stolen.

Fire, theft, and accidental damage

This SORN policy is more comprehensive and covers your classic car in case of fire or theft but also protects it in case it gets accidentally damaged while off the road.

You can expect to pay a bit more for this policy.

How much does it cost to cover a SORN vehicle?

There’s no one price that fits all when it comes to laid up car insurance. There are numerous factors that influence the quotes you get from car insurance providers, including:

  • Your classic car’s make and model
  • The value of your vehicle
  • Where you live in the UK
  • Your claims history
  • If you add it to your multi car insurance policy

Although you can’t know the exact figure to expect until you get a quote, laid up car insurance in the UK is generally cheaper than regular coverage because you won’t be driving the vehicle on the road.

To find out how much SORN car insurance will cost for your specific model, contact Lancaster Insurance Services today for a quick quote.

Is my insurance still valid when I SORN my car?

Contact your insurance provider and inform them of the change, as it may well make a difference to the premiums you pay and the type of coverage you need.

Do I need to SORN my car if I don’t use it?

There’s no legal requirement that states you need to SORN your vehicle when not in use, but if you aren’t going to be using your classic car for a while and have a garage or off-street parking where you can keep it, it’s a good idea.

You can potentially save quite a bit of money if you SORN your car with the DVLA, as you don’t need to pay tax or get an MOT. However, you can get insurance to protect it in case of damage while it’s being stored.

You might want to SORN your vehicle for any number of reasons, like:

  • You don’t plan on driving a car you own.
  • You want to salvage parts from a written-off vehicle before scrapping it.
  • You don’t currently have money to perform extensive repairs needed on your car.
  • You’ve had some ill health and won’t be driving for a while.
  • You’re going to travel for a while and leave your vehicle in storage.

How do you SORN a car?

If you plan on taking your classic car off the road, you need to apply for SORN with the DVLA. It’s easy to declare your vehicle off-road online and it’s free.

You can also apply by calling the 24-hour DVLA telephone number on 0300 123 4321 or fill out a V890 application form and send it to them. You will need your vehicle log book (V5C) to apply.

If you want to SORN a vehicle that you are going to buy but don’t currently own, you will need to apply via post and specify when you need the laid-up period to start.

There’s no specified time mentioned on the DVLA website of when you should receive a confirmation letter, so if you haven’t heard from them within 4 weeks of your application, you should get in touch.

Can I get a tax refund if I SORN my vehicle?

As soon as you declare SORN for your vehicle with the DVLA, you will get an automatic refund for any full months of remaining unused tax on the car.

It’s also worth contacting your car insurance company as you may get a partial refund for any months left on your normal insurance plan.

Can you SORN a vehicle if you don’t have the V5C logbook?

No, if you don’t have the logbook for your vintage vehicle, you will need a replacement before you can apply for SORN.

To do this, you have to complete the V62 application form and send it off to the DVLA. To get a replacement for a lost, damaged, or stolen logbook, you will need to pay £25.

Where can you keep a SORN vehicle?

I can apply to SORN my car, park outside my house, and leave it on the road, right? No, and you could face a hefty penalty if you leave an untaxed and uninsured vehicle on the road, which could include:

  • A fixed fine of £100
  • An £80 automatic penalty for not declaring SORN
  • Getting your car clamped, impounded, and possible destroyed
  • Prosecution in court and a fine up to £1,000

Declaring SORN status doesn’t mean you can simply leave your car where you like and not drive it. There are specific places where the vehicle must be kept while it’s laid up off road.

Your classic car can’t be kept on the public highway so must be stored either:

  • In a garage
  • On your driveway
  • On private land

You can’t store your SORN car on the roadside, a grass verge, pavement, or in a car park.

How can I drive my car again after SORN?

If you have decided to drive your classic car again after it’s been declared SORN, you simply need to contact the DVLA and tax it. If you sell, scrap, or permanently export your vintage vehicle, the SORN will automatically end.

Don’t forget that to legally drive on UK roads, your classic motor must have a valid MOT and insurance policy.

Contact Lancaster Insurance Services for a tailored policy to fit your budget and needs. We’re specialists when it comes to finding insurance for vintage and modern classics alike.

How often do I need to renew SORN for my vehicle?

Once you have SORN status for your car, there’s no need to renew it every year. It will be valid until you tax it again.

If I buy a SORN car, can I drive it to my house?

The only time you can drive a SORN car is to a pre-booked MOT test, otherwise you could face prosecution in court and a fine of up to £2,500.

If you buy a laid up classic motor and need to get it to your home, you will need to tax the vehicle and temporarily insure it for road use.

Once the vehicle has arrived at its destination, you can declare SORN and switch your insurance to a plan that covers it while off the road.

Can I test drive a SORN classic car?

Accidentally test driving a SORN car could get you into a lot of trouble. If you get behind the wheel of a laid up motor and take it for a spin, you will be responsible as the driver and will face prosecution.

Luckily, there are ways to protect yourself against a problem like this. You can check the vehicle’s current tax status on the DVLA website. If you have a SORN registered car then you can’t drive it until it’s taxed. The only exception is if you’re taking it to a pre-booked MOT test.

Can I sell a SORN classic car?

Yes, there’s nothing that legally stops you from selling your vintage vehicle if it has SORN status, but you must notify the new owner.

They will only be able to take it away if they are driving it to a pre-booked MOT test or they tax and insure it themselves.

Can I SORN an electric car?

If you’ve added an electric car to your classic collection and plan to keep it in a garage for upgrades and repairs, you can SORN the vehicle.

If you already have insurance for your electric car, you’ll need to inform the provider of the laid up status to see how it affects your premiums and coverage.

Contact the Lancaster Insurance Services team to get a quote for SORN electric car insurance to make sure your vehicle is protected while off the road.

Can I get multi car insurance for a SORN vehicle?

Yes, you can get insurance on a multi car plan and include your SORN vehicle.

It doesn’t matter whether the vehicles are on or off the road with this type of coverage, but make sure you inform your insurance company of the SORN status, so you get quoted the right amount. 

Is SORN insurance the same as parked car insurance?

If you’ve ever heard the term parked car insurance in the UK, you might have thought it means the same as SORN coverage.

In fact, there’s no actual policy type called parked car insurance, although some people use the term to describe comprehensive car insurance, which covers your taxed, on-road vehicle when parked on the roadside.

Lancaster is the insurance broker of choice for classic car owners providing cover for over 88,000 classic cars (as of May 2019).

We arrange classic car insurance for over 40% of all MG Bs on the road and over 30% of all Land Rover 88s and MG Midgets – proving that classic car owners place their trust in us.

At Lancaster Classic Car Insurance, we aim to find the best price for your individual cover needs. We appreciate the importance of recognising the true value of your classic car and our team will be happy to talk to you through our benefits, such as agreed valuations and salvage retention.

We will offer you a tailored policy, bespoke to your requirements – this can include cover for:

Lancaster Insurance is committed to supporting the classic car clubs.

Owners club members may enjoy discounts of up to 25% off their insurance premium (the level of discount offered by each insurer differs and is subject to underwriting criteria).

Some of the classic car clubswe currently partner with include MG Owners ClubMX5 Owners ClubVW Golf MK1 Owners Club, VW T25 Club and many more.

If your club isn’t on our Classic Car Club page or wish to partner with Lancaster Insurance please call 01480 220065 or visit our Classic Car Club page for more details.

At Lancaster we understand that not every situation is the same, especially when it comes to Classic Cars.

That is why in addition to our Lancaster Classic Car insurance, we also can arrange the below:

  • Modified Classic Car Insurance
  • Multi-vehicle Insurance
  • Wedding Car Insurance
  • Limited Mileage Insurance
  • Laid Up Cover
  • Two Year Agreed Valuation

If you would like to know more details regarding the above offers, please call us on please call us on 01480 484826 or click here and we’ll call you back at a time that’s best for you.

Are you passionate about Classic Cars?

Here at Lancaster, we not only provide Classic Car Insurance but we’re constantly looking for ways to support the Classic Car community at events, sponsorship's, giveaways and sharing care tips for classic vehicles.

We’ve partnered with the team at Meguiar’s to showcase one of their awesome products each month.

This time we’re featuring the Meguiar’s Ultimate Snow Foam contains a specialized Xtreme Cling foaming action that delivers an intense foam that sticks and clings to painted surfaces gently loosening road grime, dirt and contaminants.

Fine-tuned to carefully and thoroughly clean coated, waxed or sealed finishes while preserving protection and leaving a brilliant, swirl-free shine.

We will listen to your requirements for cover, and discuss the best options with our panel of expert underwriters, to see if we can cover your cherished vehicle.

Call our specialist team on 01480 484826 or we’ll call you back at a time that’s best for you and let Lancaster Insurance help you.

In May 2018 the Department for Transport announced that cars that were built more than 40 years ago exempt from MOT testing, with the option for owners to voluntarily have their car tested if they feel it needs checking.

What if I need to make a claim on my SORN insurance?

If your vehicle is stolen, you will need to report it to the police immediately and write down the crime reference number for your case.

In the event of a fire or other damage, a surveyor will need to assess the vehicle to discover the cause of the damage.

Making a claim through Lancaster Insurance Services is easy. Call the claims line on 01480 484802. We’ll tell you what documentation is needed for your case and help you through the process.

Why choose Lancaster Insurance Services to protect your vintage vehicle off the road?

We’re passionate about protecting vintage vehicles with classic car insurance for the generations to come.

We understand how important vintage vehicles are to their owners and that finding the right coverage to protect them is a top priority.

We’ve been arranging car insurance for classic motors for decades, and can tailor a policy to fit your model and budget.

And that’s not all. At Lancaster Insurance Services, we provide a range of policies to suit every owner and vehicle, including:

  • Multi vehicle cover
  • Wedding car insurance
  • Modified car cover
  • Limited mileage plans
  • Static car show policies
  • Kit car insurance
  • Quad bike cover
  • Motorhome and campervan insurance plans

See what our customers have to say about our specialist insurance with our 5-star reviews on Trustpilot.

SORN car insurance quotes for your classic motor

Your vintage vehicle is a big investment and protecting it while off the road is just as important as when you’re driving it. We understand the time and effort put into maintaining your classic, and we believe it deserves the best coverage possible.

We can cover your car in case of fire, theft, or accidental damage when you declare it SORN.

Looking to protect your vintage motor with laid up car insurance? Contact the Lancaster Insurance Services team today by calling 01480 484826 and requesting a call back.

Available benefits at a glance

  • Car Club member discounts up to 25%
  • Static Show Cover
  • Historic Rally Cover
  • Choice of repairer
  • Salvage Retention
  • Free EU cover up to 90 days
  • Two Year Agreed Valuation
  • Laid Up Cover Available*
  • 24 Hour Claims Helpline
  • UK Based Call Centre
  • Limit Mileage Discounts

*(available for £18)

Why Choose Lancaster Classic Car Insurance?

  • Classic Car That’s Hard to Insure?
  • Classic Car MoT Exemptions
  • Classic Car Insurance Quote
  • Classic Car Insurance Discounts and Benefits:
    • Car Club member discounts up to 25%
    • Static Show Cover
    • Historic Rally Cover
    • Choice of repairer
    • Salvage Retention
    • Free EU cover up to 90 days
    • Two Year Agreed Valuation available for £18
    • Laid Up Cover Available
    • 24 Hour Claims Helpline
    • UK Based Call Centre
    • Limit Mileage Discounts